zaterdag 7 juli 2007

Asp on relationships

One of the subjects I really was eager to write about is about relationships. This is just because I think allthough there is spoken and written a lot about the subject we often miss te point. In the secular world a lot of communication is about eros or expression of eros and in the christian world we tend to only touch the surface and do not get our hands dirty. I often find we christians tend to produce a clean text about how we think things should be, but that we have failed to test it to the reality of 2007 and make it a live discussion subject for growth especially among the young. I think this is an allergy that's left over of the time getting our hands dirty meant that christians had very fixed views of relationships that often collided with society. A lot of friction came out of discussing fixed views and created the allergy or taboo. I think the allergy was a neccessity for a while, but that broader society and christians have changed to be less polarised by now which opens doors. Now it is time to reinvent ourselves and to start honest discussions about this subject. I think the value of the discussion should be valued more than finding the "right" answer everyone should obey. Because the discussion leads to growth in knowledge and understanding and I think acceptance can flow out of that. In the past the fixed views have proven to block the the flow of information, thereby blocking growth in knowledge, understanding and possible acceptance.

I often visit De Zolder and while surfing the internet I landed on the blog of Eric Asp. He's one of the church leaders of De Zolder. I found on his blog a series of what I think is a honest discussion about relationships and sexuality and by writing this I think he is getting his hands dirty. I found it to be interesting material to read and therefore liked to share it with you. It is not that I agree on everything, but I value his opennes, respect and honesty in the discussion he tries to start. I hope, if you read his work, you will also truely value his opennes and honesty and be mild if you do not agree with his views on sensitive subjects. I think he deserves this approach because of daring to be vulnerable in a brave attempt to start an honest discussion about relationship issues in the christian world in 2007.

Geen opmerkingen: